BROADLAWNS MEDICAL CENTER
DES MOINES, IOWA
HARTZ Search invites you to explore an exciting opportunity with our client, Broadlawns Medical Center (BMC) in Des Moines, Iowa for the President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The new CEO will lead the organization’s strategic initiatives required for long-term success while balancing the day-to-day operations. The CEO is responsible for ensuring the organization provides quality and efficient care and services throughout the hospital, clinics, and community support programs.
The CEO will partner with key stakeholders to improve access for all patients and further the organization’s journey into value-based care. The CEO will lead the organization creating a culture, which has at its core, the highest level of commitment to quality outcomes, patient experience, employee engagement, operational discipline, financial stewardship, accountability, and pride, while developing meaningful and collaborative relationships that will continue to grow the legacy of BMC. Broadlawns Medical Center desires a transformational Chief Executive Officer who will encompass Broadlawns’s mission, vision, and values.
The CEO will represent BMC in the City of Des Moines, Polk County, as well as regionally, and nationally; and will advocate on behalf of Broadlawns Medical Center, the patients it serves, and its dedicated employees. Prior experience and leadership on national, regional or state-wide boards or commissions is desired to function as the Medical Center’s Brand Ambassador. The President & Chief Executive Officer will collaboratively engage, entrust, and inspire its Board of Trustees.
HIGHLIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reports to the Seven (7) Board of Trustees Members:
- The CEO has 11 direct reports and an operating budget of $160M.
- Sets and maintains standards for operational excellence.
- Responsible for delivering high quality patient care in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Promotes and evaluates patient satisfaction through program outcomes.
- Oversees the development, implementation and evaluation of patient safety measures. Creates a positive and productive culture engaging with staff throughout the organization.
- Builds technology and maintains a healthy organization that best serves BMC’s patient population.
- Ensures organization follows all regulatory bodies and Joint Commission standard·
- Completes planning to review and set future goals and standards for the organization.
- In collaboration with the Board of Trustees and Senior Leadership team, develops; plans for and initiates strategic plans.
- Develops and maintains relationships with external organizations, including the medical community, referring physicians, legislators, other local entities, and the media.
- Maintains positive rapport within the community and local neighborhood.
- Delivers a strong financial performance.
- Ensure the organization maintains a positive reputation within the community. Monitors BMC’s finances for steady and healthy growth
- Ensures the organization is financially stable.
- Fosters an environment conducive to the recruitment of quality healthcare staff. Recruits, develops and retains quality leadership staff and providers.
- Directly manages Senior Leadership staff and designated operations leaders.
- Provides oversight to education programs, including but not limited to the Family Practice, Transitional Year and Psychiatry Residency programs.
- Performance standards and accountabilities are agreed to on an annual basis at the time of evaluation and establishment of goals for the next year.
About Broadlawns Medical Center:
Broadlawns Medical Center is a 200- bed, public community Acute Care safety net hospital with emergency services, inpatient & outpatient services, lab, radiology, behavioral health, specialty clinics, dentistry, and a 24/7 crisis team.
Broadlawns’ dedicated staff of over 1,200 employees and 100 physicians work together to provide high-quality healthcare that is coordinated, compassionate and cost-effective for the patients of Polk County. In 2024, Broadlawns Medical Center celebrates its 100th anniversary.
LOCATION – Des Moines, IA: Des Moines is the capital and the most populous city in the state of Iowa and is the fastest-growing major metro in the Midwest. It is also the county seat of Polk County. With easy access to great cultural attractions, eclectic local shopping, dining options, and sporting events, Des Moines offers something for everyone, no matter the season. Des Moines has 13 distinct neighborhoods that offer something different in each area: farmers markets, sculpture gardens, a zoo, breweries and Adventureland Park. Des Moines offers midwestern values, affordable cost of living, excellent schools, and a thriving economy.
- An undergraduate degree in business, finance, healthcare, medicine or commensurate area of study.
- MHA, MBA, MSN, MPH or other Advanced Degree is required.
- 5+ years demonstrated successful hospital Chief Executive Officer (CEO) or Chief Operating Officer (COO) experience.
- Diverse population experience.
- Analytical skills with ability to understand business proforma of and reimbursement for medical services.
- Strong skills and experience in developing multidisciplinary teams and engaging them to problem solve.
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills.
- 10+ years demonstrated successful hospital administration experience.
- Public hospital management experience.
- Meditech experience.
- Medicaid and Social Determinants of Health experience
- Experience with leading or developing graduate medical education programs.
- Experience with managing behavioral health services on an inpatient and outpatient basis.