Medical Assistant - Norman Oncology Clinic
Norman Porter - Medical Oncology Clinical
General Description: Under direct supervision of a physician or other medical personnel, performs routine patient care functions such as physician assistance, patient placement, testing, information gathering, nursing duties, chaperoning, supply maintenance, and scheduling. May coordinate schedules of patients in an outpatient clinic and provide clerical assistance toward the smooth operation of the facility.
- Physician Assistance. Assists physician or other medical personnel in the examination process as required or necessary. Performs order entry to electronic medical records, i.e., prescription refills, sets up lab tests or x-rays, etc.
- Patient Placement. Places patients in exam rooms. Drapes and positions patients for appropriate exams or procedures. Assists in restraining or controlling patients (infants, children, geriatrics, etc.).
- Test Performance. Performs routine tests on patients such as audiograms, vision, spirometer, EKG, rapid strep, urinalysis, and urine pregnancy tests. Assists with cardiovascular stress tests, fetal non-stress tests, and OB ultrasounds.
- Information Gathering. Obtains and records vital signs including body temperature, height, weight, and takes blood pressure. Takes and documents complaints and patient histories including allergies, immunization histories, etc. Maintains patient confidentiality. Receives and returns telephone calls from or to patients and pharmacies. Obtains authorizations and referrals.
- Nursing. Performs various nursing duties such as suture removal, casting and steristrip applications, administration of injections, venipunctures, breathing treatments, ultrasound therapy, and hydroculator therapy. Assists with both surgical and non-surgical procedures.
- Chaperoning. Chaperones examinations and patients.
- Supply Maintenance. Responsible for stocking exam rooms, taking inventory, ordering supplies, and sterilizing instruments and/or equipment.
- Scheduling. Makes scheduling arrangements with other healthcare professionals and facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education: None required. Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program preferred
Experience: None required. 6 months experience in patient care as a Medical Assistant or 6 months performing electronic order entry as a qualified Assessment-Based Recognition in Order Entry (ABR-OE) preferred.
Licensure/Certifications/Registrations Required: Basic Life Support (American Heart Association) certification required upon hire.
One of the following certifications are preferred but not required upon hire:
- Medical Assistant - American Medical Technologists (AMT)
- Registered Medical Assistant - American Association of Medical Personnel
- Registered Medical Assistant - American Allied Health
- Certified Medical Assistant - American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- Assessment-Based Recognition in Order Entry - American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
- Certified Clinical Medical Assistant - National Healthcareer Association
- National Certified Medical Assistant - National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
- Nationally Registered Certified Medical Assistant - National Association for Health Professionals
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Ability to interact professionally with healthcare practitioners and patients.
- Ability to effectively communicate information.
- Ability to observe and obtain information from all relevant sources.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Must be detail oriented and able to complete work tasks.
- Ability to maintain composure even in difficult situations.
- Ability to be understanding and sensitive to needs of others.
Current OU Health Employees - Please click HERE to login.
OU Health is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k), medical and dental plans, and many more. We know that a total benefits and compensation package, designed to meet your specific needs both inside and outside of the work environment, create peace of mind for you and your family.