The incumbent will provide research coordination support for Dr. Anne L.Coleman’s research program, including, but not limited to projects fallingunder the following themes: (1) examining and addressing disparities in eyecare through the use of mobile health (mHealth) applications, (2)multidisciplinary approaches to measuring and evaluating proxies for systemic racismand social determinants of health and their impact on eye health, and (3)exploring initiatives and interventions to improve justice, equity, diversity,and inclusion within ophthalmology, (4) effect of lighting on myopia. Theresearch coordinator will also assist with Dr. Coleman’s other researchprojects involving ophthalmic epidemiology and the use of secondary databases,in addition to clinical projects utilizing chart reviews and electronic medicalrecords (EMR) data, among others.
The research coordinatorwill be responsible for all IRB related paperwork including annual data reviewand renewal forms, ensuring all personnel are up to date on training, and UCLAand FDA compliance related processes. The research coordinator will also assist with drafting research strategiesand analysis plans for NIH and other grant proposal applications, in additionto ensuring that all required internal and extramural paperwork is completedand submitted in a timely fashion, coordinating closely with the Contract andGrant Analysts within the UCLA Department of Ophthalmology. The researchcoordinator will also be responsible for managing data collection and dataentry for Dr. Coleman’s new and ongoing research projects, including thecollection of preliminary data for Dr. Coleman’s study assessing thefeasibility, validity, and cost-effectiveness of a mobile health (mHealth)screening protocol for chronic eye disease in under-resourced settings with theUCLA Mobile Eye Clinic (UMEC). In addition, the incumbent will perform studyprocedures based on new and existing study protocols. The research coordinatorwill be responsible for maintaining all data accurately and securely, using allestablished privacy precautions. The research coordinator will also assist withvarious processes related to the communication of research findings, includingpreparation of scientific abstracts for presentation at national meetings,creation of PowerPoint slides for research talks to be given at local andnational meetings, and writing and editing of research manuscripts forpublication. The research coordinator will also coordinate the manuscriptpublication process, checking journal requirements and interfacing with themanuscript submission portal on Dr. Coleman’s behalf. It is anticipated thatthis individual would start with 5-years of previous clinical researchexperience. It is anticipated that the incumbent will work independently whilealso working closely with the PI to ensure that the clinical study meetsnecessary milestones while remaining compliant with all necessary regulations.
Salary range: $61400.00-$121400.00 Annual
* Experience in clinical, epidemiological, or health services research (5+yrs).
* Demonstrate exceptional oral and written communication skills including knowledge of medical terminology in order to establish effective working relations with all levels of university staff, faculty, private/federal agencies, and with patients.
* Demonstrate writing and editing skills to complete lay language and technical documents and correspondence by given deadlines.
* Demonstrate working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint) and the internet.
* Extensive experience with creating presentation slides and research posters using PowerPoint or other related software.
* Demonstrate exceptional organizational skills and the ability to work independently with minimal direction; demonstrate the ability to prioritize and perform a variety of tasks that need to be carried out simultaneously with frequent interruptions.
* Demonstrate the ability to learn new routines quickly, to follow routines consistently, and to work under the pressure of a busy workload.
* Knowledge and application of regulatory requirements pertinent to clinical trial conduct are required [including Federal
* Guidelines on Human Subjects in Research, International Conference on Harmonization (ICH), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Joint Commission (JC), International Air Transport Association (IATA) and other regulatory agencies as appropriate].
* Working knowledge of Qualtrics and/or other survey design tools.
* Working knowledge of EndNote and/or other reference management software.
* Strong background in the medical field, specifically BS degree or above in science; knowledge of UCLA’s hospital information system.
* Ophthalmic experience including an understanding of ophthalmic terminology and ability to perform basic work up and visual acuity assessments such as vision check and anterior segment imaging.
* Knowledge or experience with the FDA regulator process