Communications Dispatch Operator II
Under limited supervision, monitors hospital alarms for critical environmental and emergency systems, processes emergency codes, and takes all maintenance dispatch calls. Answers all incoming calls to the hospital and directs calls to the appropriate department. Operates and monitors hospital wide computer monitoring systems, responds and communicates to others as appropriate, and maintains records. May train and mentor less experienced team members.
Responsibilities listed in this section are core to the position. Inability to perform these responsibilities with or without an accommodation may result in disqualification from the position.
- Identifies caller’s needs, obtains/verifies relevant information and routes call to the most appropriate site whether internal or external to OU Health.
- Operates a voice and radio pager system to notify hospital personnel of incoming calls and other related information.
- Updates on call schedules and campus database for Smart web.
- Serves as a key participant in the facilities emergency notification team, during internal or external emergencies or disasters.
- Receives and dispatches trouble calls to appropriate personnel.
- Logs and maintains appropriate forms. Monitors and reports fire alarms.
- Monitors computerized Building Automation System (BAS) for possible malfunction of various critical systems such as refrigerators, freezers, air handlers, OR temps, fire panels, generators, and med gas.
- Using the BAS, initiates program changes to various HVAC and other critical operating systems and equipment as required.
- Maintains appropriate temperatures and humidity in surgical suites as requested.
- Enters data into computer system regarding work request.
- Responds to system malfunction troubleshoots malfunction and notifies personnel as necessary.
- Documents malfunction and resolution. Contacts hospital vendors as needed.
- Responds to emergency situations by notifying appropriate persons and monitors situation until resolved.
- Maintains various records and logs including emergency action information.
- May train and mentor less experienced team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education: None required. Associate’s Degree in relevant field such as Information Technology or Telecommunications preferred
Experience: Successful completion of OU Health Communications and Systems Monitor Tech training program OR two (2) years customer service experience in a call center or other relevant position OR one (1) year of experience in a computer-based hospital communications related position OR one (1) year experience working with a BAS system of similar complexity
OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
License(s)/Certification(s)/Registration(s) Required: None
NOTE: This job will require the individual to work various shifts and/or hours.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to communicate effectively in English to include but not limited to, communication via telephone, overhead paging and in person.
- Must be able to demonstrate a working knowledge of computers, business automation systems and standard office equipment.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with patients, families and hospital staff in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Must be able to solve problems within established policies and procedures.
- Must demonstrate a positive demeanor.
- Must have good verbal and written communication skills.
- Type/keyboarding skills sufficient to meet the requirements of the position.
- Must be able to successfully complete additional job related training when required.
- Must be able to function in a team environment.
- Able to work effectively in a potentially high stress situation including emergency situations.
Current OU Health Employees - Please click HERE to login.
OU Health is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, 401(k), medical and dental plans, and many more. We know that a total benefits and compensation package, designed to meet your specific needs both inside and outside of the work environment, create peace of mind for you and your family.