Accountable for providing patient centered care and operational support to the medical team to ensure an optimal patient experience. Coordinates activities in the clinical areas and facilities a smooth patient flow. Assists with patient data collection, performs select screenings and completes medical office functions relevant to area/assignment.
Shift-Job Type: PRN
• Must have three years of customer service experience, preferably in a medical/healthcare/health insurance setting.
• Patient registration experience preferred.
• Prefer completion of course work towards an accredited medical technology or medical assistant certification.
• Medical Office Assistance experience or training a plus.
Equivalent Education and/or Experience
• May have an equivalent combination of education and experience to substitute for the experience requirements.
Skills or Special Abilities
• Must be able to work collaboratively with colleagues to deliver patient/customer services that
exceeds patient expectations as evidenced by patient satisfaction scores.
• Must be able to demonstrate competency required as applicable to specialty area.
• Must have demonstrated communication skills to include above average verbal skills (heavy public contact) and written skills. Bilingual skills preferred.
• Must have familiarity with diagnostic ICD-9 CM coding and HCPCS-CPT4 procedure codes.
• Must have working knowledge of medical terminology.
• Must be able to demonstrate basic clerical skills and working knowledge of standard office
• Must be detail oriented and have sharp analytical skills to resolve registration issues as related to multiple groups including third-party payors, physicians, patients and the system.
• Must be able to solve problems within the guidelines of established policies and procedures.
• Must be able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities and rapid change.
1. Proficiently performs patient service activities in coordination with clinical team, including but not limited to:
a. Ensures patient and family comfort, safety, privacy and confidentiality at all times.
b. Adapts work methods to specifically accommodate the population-specific care needs (physical, psychosocial, cultural, age/developmental) of each patient.
c. Greets patients and families making them feel welcome and wanted.
d. Assists patients and families with directions, inquiries and information as requested. Ensures
needs are addressed satisfactorily.
e. Keeps patients and families informed of wait times and any other circumstances that may
impact the visit.
f. Stays cognizant of clinical/area needs to facilitate patient care and flow.
g. Assess patient experience at the end of each visit to determine if patient needs were met.
2. Coordinates clinic/area activities and facilitates business processes according to standards.
a. Performs pre-visit activities to gather patient information from internal and external service or entities to ensure information is available to the clinic team for the visit.
b. Checks the patient into the clinic. Correctly identifies patient prior to performing tasks. Reviews and updates patient account to ensure registration and coverage is current and complete.
c. Confirms or verifies coverage as needed. Identifies and refers patients for financial counseling
d. Performs upfront cash collections; receives, verifies and posts money transactions following
Parkland cash management policies and procedures. All monies must be accounted for through
the patient accounting system and/or point of sale system. Verifies and completes daily
reconciliations that ensure cash transactions are handled accurately and deposits made daily.
e. Assists with the process of internal and external appointments, referrals and information
retrieval. Schedules appointments in accordance with clinical team directive and patient
f. Performs charge capture and charge reconciliation to ensure encounters are complete and
closed in a timely manner.
3. Documents (paper or electronic) completely, accurately, legibly and timely.
a. Ensures applicable documentation is obtained for registration and patient visit. Provides
explanation for all requested forms to ensure patient understanding.
b. Performs data entry/documentation of patient care intake information.
4. Assists with maintenance of clinic supplies and equipment.
a. Assists with stocking and inventory of supplies, as appropriate.
b. Keeps appropriate persons informed of status of supplies and equipment.
c. Completes requisition documentation for supplies, equipment and services, as applicable.
5. Practices patient safety measures and in association with site leadership:
a. Complies with proper hand hygiene (hand washing/hand sanitizer gel/foam use).
b. Applies or practices proper infection control methods.
c. Identifies, corrects and/or reports safety hazards at the time of discovery.
d. Identifies and/or facilitates maintenance problems with equipment, initiates requests for work order, and removes from patient care area, as appropriate.
e. Informs Environmental Services when additional cleaning activities are needed.
6. Participates in performance improvement and quality initiatives.
a. Participates in the unit performance improvement initiatives.
b. Meets expected performance quality measures as outlined for area(s) or responsibility.
1. Identifies ways to improve work processes and improve customer satisfaction. Makes
recommendations to supervisor, implements, and monitors results as appropriate in support of
the overall goals of the department and Parkland.
2. Stays abreast of the latest developments, advancements, and trends in the field by attending
seminars/workshops, reading professional journals, actively participating in professional
organizations, and/or maintaining certification or licensure. Integrates knowledge gained into
current work practices.
3. Maintains knowledge of applicable rules, regulations, policies, laws and guidelines that impact the area. Develops effective internal controls designed to promote adherence with applicable laws, accreditation agency requirements, and federal, state, and private health plans. Seeks advice and guidance as needed to ensure proper understanding.
Parkland Health and Hospital System prohibits discrimination based on age (40 or over), race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, disability, national origin, marital status, political belief, or veteran status.
Nearest Major Market: Dallas
Nearest Secondary Market: Fort Worth
Job Segment: Medical Office Assistant, Patient Care, Healthcare Administration, Infection Control, Data Entry, Administrative, Healthcare