Job Req ID: 367781
Position Number: 00169163
Employment Type: Part Time
Shift: Variable/On Call
Shift Details: Saturdays and Sundays
Standard Hours: 24.00
Department Name: IP Social Work
Location: Behavioral Health Davidson
Carolinas HealthCare System is Atrium Health. Our mission remains the same: to improve health, elevate hope and advance healing - for all. The name Atrium Health allows us to grow beyond our current walls and geographical borders to impact as many lives as possible and deliver solutions that help communities thrive. For more information, please visit atriumhealth.org/about-us.
The Peer Support Specialist utilizes their lived experience with the healing process of recovery from psychiatric, traumatic, and/or substance use challenges to offer assistance and support to promote another peerï¿½s own personal recovery. The Peer Support Specialist has been trained to assist others in initiating and maintaining long-term recovery and enhancing the quality of life for the individuals they work alongside. A Peer Support Specialist is assigned to a behavioral health unit and works in collaboration with the treatment team. Essential Functions
- Functions as a member of the interdisciplinary treatment team.
- Interacts with program participants and co-workers with empathy, and respect maintaining dignity and confidentiality.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the procedures for responding to a crisis both for the individuals served and person providing peer support services.
- Uses trauma sensitive communication skills to engage clients.
- Demonstrates the ability to conduct daily life skills groups following the guidelines and principles of Recovery and Trauma Informed Care.
- Educates the client with treatment team input regarding potential referral sources to coordinate services for clients.
- Demonstrates an understanding of HIPPA and obtains signed releases of information prior to sharing information.
- Demonstrates the ability to disengage from their relationship with whom they are working.
- Demonstrates the ability to document clearly, concisely, and accurately all individual and group meetings.
Works in various community environments (homes, hospitals, emergency rooms, group homes, assisted living facilities) and in an office setting, with exposure to potentially combative and hostile clients. Work requires frequent moving from one area to another, including use of company vehicles, answering pages, and coordinating and communicating with other staff persons in various disciplines and agencies. May transport clients to placement when appropriate to facilitate the transition. Education, Experience and Certifications.
High School diploma or GED required. Bachelorï¿½s degree in a relevant human services field preferred (such as social work or psychology). Successful completion of Certified Peer Support Training Program within 6 months of hire. Maintains peer support certificate per state standards. CPI and CPR required on a yearly basis for those working on an inpatient unit. Previous personal experience with the treatment of psychiatric illness is preferred. Previous experience working with the SPMI population preferred. Must have good therapeutic communication skills. Ability and willingness to work as a team member. Must have good communication skills and the ability to read and write. Must have computer skills sufficient to document in an electronic medical record. Must complete defensive driving class annually.
At Atrium Health, formerly Carolinas HealthCare System, our patients, communities and teammates are at the center of everything we do. Our commitment to diversity and inclusion allows us to deliver care that is superior in quality and compassion across our network of more than 900 care locations.
As a leading, innovative health system, we promote an environment where differences are valued and integrated into our workforce. Our culture of inclusion and cultural competence allows us to achieve our goals and deliver the best possible experience to patients and the communities we serve.
Posting Notes: Not Applicable
Atrium Health is an EOE/AA Employer